Completely landlocked in the west of Africa, and north of Nigeria, the country of Niger is largely covered by the Saharan desert. This means the climate is decidedly hot and dry. Best time to visit is from December to February, when temperatures are relatively low. From March onward temperatures rise well over 40 degrees centigrade!
Highest mountain is Mont Idoukal-n-Taghes (2022 m), part of the dark granite Aïr Massif in the north of the country. Guided trekking and hiking with guide and camels is possible here, and also in the Ténéré Desert and Termit Massif further east.
Located in the far southwest of Niger is the "W" Transborder Park, named after a W-shaped meander in the Niger River. Niger shares the park with Burkina Faso and Benin. Guided walking safari's are offered from most accomodations in the park.
- Reisgids Landenreeks Niger | LM publishers
- Niger is het land van de dramatische statistieken. Op allerlei armoederanglijsten bungelt het land steevast ergens onderaan. Een uitputtend klimaat, gebrek aan regen en vruchtbare grond, explosieve bevolkingsgroei, slecht ontwikkelde gezondheidszorg en nauwelijks scholing: het zit Niger bepaald niet mee. Maar de Nigerezen boeken ook... Read more
- Reisgids Sahel-länder Westafrika (Mauretanië, Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso, Senegal, Gambia) | Reise Know-How Verlag
- Mooie en zeer volledige gids van de Sahel landen Mauritanië; Mali, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Senegal en Gambia; meer dan 200 kleurenfoto's; meer dan 40 stadsplattegronden en kaartjes en veel achtergrondinformatie. Der Reiseführer 'Sahel-Länder Westafrikas' von Reise Know-How ist das umfassende Handbuch, um die Region individuell zu entdecken und... Read more
- Lonely Planet West Africa
- Lonely Planet West Africa is your passport to all the most relevant and up-to-date advice on what to see, what to skip, and what hidden discoveries await you. Experience the culture of Dakar or Marrakesh, visit the gorges and oases of the Sahara, or hike to paradise on Santo Antao in Cape Verde; all with your trusted travel companion. Get to... Read more
- An African Adventure Atlas
- This text divides the African continent into 15 geographical regions which are introduced over 30 pages and serve to lead the reader into the sections of the atlas, comprising National Parks, town plans and adventure activities. For ease of reference, colour-coded "tabs" clearly identify the different secitons, which include: Morocco and the... Read more
- The Road to Timbuktu
- In the summer of 1795 a 24-year-old Scot with an optimistic heart and an unforgettable name docked on the Gambia River. So began one of the most extraordinary journeys of exploration in West Africa. Tackling fever, starvation, wild beasts and curious natives, Mungo Park soldiered on to his prize, the mysterious Niger, finally proving that the... Read more
- Mali at 1:2,000,000 from Gizi Map with excellent presentation of the country’s topography, an enlargement for the Dogon Plateau, street plans of Bamako and Timbuktu, all showing places of interest, plus an extensive index.Topography is shown by altitude colouring with spot heights and plenty of names of mountain ranges and other geographical... Read more
- Mali Wall Map
- Mali Wall Map at 1:2,000,000 from Gizi Map, size 95.5 x 88cm ( 38” x 35” approx,) with excellent presentation of the country’s topography, plus an enlargement for the Dogon Plateau and street plans of Bamako and Timbuktu, all showing places of interest.Topography is shown by altitude colouring with spot heights and plenty of names of mountain... Read more